- I’m interested in hiring you for my project. What’s next?
- How much do you charge?
- What’s included with the fee?
- What happens if I cancel the project before it is completed or if I change my mind about the direction of the project after you start?
- Will I own all rights to the copy you’ve written?
- Do you do graphic design?
- What’s the best way to reach you?
1. After you contact me, we’ll talk by phone (free of charge) about the scope of your project and schedule for completion. Then I’ll email you a Statement of Agreement that describes deliverable(s) and includes an estimated fee. I’ll ask that you sign, scan and send it back to me prior to the start of the project.
2. I’ll ask you to provide as much background material as possible and will use it as the basis for writing. This material could include brochures, marketing emails, reports, case studies and web content. I may also request to interview you, your staff and/or your clients to gain additional insight about your product or service. This kind of “investigative” interviewing can be an effective tool for uncovering those nuggets of information that make your deliverable resonate with your audience.
3. I deliver your copy — as a Word attachment in email — on time and within budget.
I typically charge a per-project fee. Once I understand the project scope, I’ll provide an estimate in the Statement of Agreement. Ask about our volume discount!
In addition to the finished copy, the fee includes research, message strategizing, two revisions and one in-person meeting (if necessary). Additional meetings and revisions are charged at an hourly rate.
If you decide to cancel the project for any reason, payment will be pro-rated for the work that has been performed up to that point. If the project changes significantly in direction or scale, I’ll provide a new Statement of Agreement and cost estimate.
Once all copywriting fees for the project have been paid, you own the rights to all work created for you. In most cases I will use your project in hard copy and electronic form in my portfolio. Please let me know if you have concerns about confidentiality.
I do not provide graphic design, but I can help locate a designer if you don’t have one already. Either way, I’ll coordinate with the designer to make sure that the copy and designs enhance each other.
Email lauren[at]appaink.com or complete this form. I’ll respond within one business day.